Social Services and Healthcare SCQF 6 (Thurso and Alness) SVQ
What is special about this course?
This award meets the registration requirements for the Scottish Social Services Council for Care Workers. The SVQ in Social Services and Healthcare at SCQF Level 6 helps to develop skills and knowledge already gained in a care setting.
This is a work-based qualification and has a structured, but flexible delivery. Students are assessed in the workplace to allow them to demonstrate their competence.
- Suitable employment full or part-time, voluntary or paid, in social services and healthcare
- Work in a care setting at a support level for a minimum of 3 months
- Demonstrate your ability to write at SCQF level 5 or above with appropriate literacy skills
- Full-time students: successful completion of the NC Child, Health and Social Care or relevant work experience
This SVQ can be studied as a full-time student, where you will undertake four days equivalent work placement, preparing you for a career in a health or social care setting, plus attendance at College for local support.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
- Work based
You will undertake four days of work placement in a youth work setting, plus one day of attendance at a drop-in session at the Thurso or Alness campus.
You will be supported in the workplace and at your weekly drop-in session, by a local assessor who will mentor and assist you in preparing your portfolio of evidence.
How long will my course last?1 Academic Year
Where can I study my course?
- Work Based
Intakes in September and January each year
Find out more about fees, fee waivers and funding options.
- Full-time: students should apply for full-time bursary funding
- The College has a limited number of Modern Apprenticeships available for this award
What can I do on completion of my course?
This award meets registration requirements for the Scottish Social Services Council for social care workers.
On successful completion of level 2, in addition to your enhanced employment opportunities, you may be able to move on to:
- Other relevant courses such as SVQ Level 3 Social Services & Healthcare (Adults) or (Children and Young People)
- NQ Health and Social Care
- HNC Social Services
- PDA Health & Social Care Administration of Medicine
- PDA Promoting Excellence in Dementia Skilled Practice
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Social Services and Healthcare SCQF 6 (Thurso and Alness) SVQ
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI North, West and Hebrides. UHI North, West and Hebrides operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.