Professional Cookery SCQF 5 (Thurso and Dornoch) SVQ
What is special about this course?
Available to study at our Thurso or Dornoch campus, the SVQ Professional Cookery SCQF 5 will help you master the fundamentals of professional cookery, ensuring a solid foundation for your culinary journey!
In this programme, you will build open your existing skills, learning more about food production and presentation. Full-time students will also have the opportunity to embark on a work placement, providing invaluable hands-on experience.
The course offers students a unique learning experience by immersing them in real-world culinary environments within our college restaurants, which are open to the public. You'll have the opportunity to work side by side with our seasoned chefs, gaining hands-on experience in the preparation of delicious meals at the Cafe at Morven, and Flagstones restaurant in Thurso or the Burghfield training restaurant in Dornoch.
- Two National 5 qualifications and Three National 4s
- Applicants who are successful on SVQ Professional Cookery SCQF 4 will be considered
- Work experience in a kitchen will be an advantage
- Maintain food safety in a kitchen environment
- Maintain health and safety in Hospitality
- Prepare, cook and finish basic meat dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic hot sauces
- Prepare, cook and finish basic fish dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic pastry products
- Prepare, cook and finish basic poultry dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish vegetables
- Prepare, cook and finish basic soups
- Prepare, cook and finish desserts
- Prepare, cook and finish basic cakes, sponges, biscuits and scones
- Work effectively as part of a Hospitality team
- Maintain and handle knives
- Set up and close the kitchen
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
- Part Time
- Day release
Students will attend their local campus in Thurso or Dornoch, learning in our professional training kitchens.
Full-time students may have the opportunity of a work placement in a local Hospitality business.
How long will my course last?
1 year full-time, longer part-time.
Where can I study my course?
September - June
Find out more about fees, fee waivers and funding options.
What can I do on completion of my course?
- Employment as a commis chef or assistant cook within the hospitality industry
- You could also apply to study the SVQ Professional Cookery SCQF 6, HNC Professional Cookery
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Professional Cookery SCQF 5 (Thurso and Dornoch) SVQ
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI North, West and Hebrides. UHI North, West and Hebrides operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.