Hospitality Services SCQF 5 (Modern Apprenticeship) SVQ
What is special about this course?
Introduction to Industry – This course will allow on the job training and college based learning to go hand in hand giving the candidate the best learning opportunity to progress their career in hospitality.
Qualification - This Modern Apprenticeship initiative offers people the chance to work towards achieving an SVQ in Hospitality Services at SCQF 5. The programme is a combination of work-based and college training and provides the dual benefit of students gaining a nationally recognised qualification while being paid as they work.
This Modern Apprenticeship consists of an SVQ, Core Skills and Enhancements.
- Debt free learning
- Nationally recognised qualifications
- Career progression opportunities
- Cost effective training supported by funding from Skills Development Scotland (up to 100% funding depending on age and eligibility criteria)
- Develop up to date and relevant skills and qualifications
Applicants should be in full time employment with employer’s support to undertake the course. A good understanding of the hospitality sector would be an advantage. Candidates undertaking these qualifications should be in positions which relate to the course to enable them to provide work-related evidence
This Modern Apprenticeship framework is developed by the sector skills council, People 1st, in consultation with employers and key partners in the industry. The course can be tailored towards the specific needs of the employer but will typically contain core skills and industry specific units. These include:
Three mandatory units;
• Maintain Health and Safety in Hospitality
• Work Effectively as Part of a Hospitality Team
• Impact of Personal Behaviour in Hospitality
All seven optional units should be selected from either Group A, B, C, D, E or F. If either Group A or F is selected then candidates must complete the unit PPL2GEN5 Maintain Food Safety in a Hospitality Environment. If either Group D or E is selected then candidates must complete the unit PPL2GEN4 Maintain Food Safety in a Kitchen Environment. These units will be chosen with the advice and guidance from your assessor and employer to ensure they fit the criteria of your Modern Apprenticeship and naturally fit the work you are doing on a daily basis.
Candidates are required to achieve the following core skills:
• Communication (SCQF 4)
• Working With Others (SCQF 4)
• Problem Solving (SCQF 4)
• Information and Communication Technology (SCQF 3)
• Numeracy (SCQF 4)
(Candidates who have already been certificated as achieving Core Skills at the levels given above do not need to repeat these Core Skills as part of the Modern Apprenticeship Framework.)
This modern apprenticeship requires one or more industry specific enhancements which should be achieved during or prior to the induction period of the apprenticeship to ensure the apprentice is fully informed of the regulations.
Basic Health & Safety at Work Certificate ( all routes ) This should be achieved within the first 12 weeks of the Apprenticeship or no longer than 2 years prior to the start of the apprenticeship.
• Basic Food Hygiene Certificate (candidates choosing either Front of House Reception, Housekeeping or specific nonfood routes within the Hospitality Services pathway are not require to achieve this enhancement ) This should be achieved within the first 12 weeks of the Apprenticeship or no longer than 3 years prior to the start of the apprenticeship.
• Scottish Certificate for Licensed Premises Staff All staff who sell or serve alcohol are required to have a minimum of two hours of training on alcohol licensing legislation. This should be achieved within the first 12 weeks with the current employer.
How will I study my course?
- Work based
How long will my course last?1 Year
Where can I study my course?
- Work Based
- Employers Premises
Find out more about fees, fee waivers and funding options.
Funding is available from Skills Development Scotland to contribute towards the costs of the apprentices training under the Modern Apprenticeship Programme for all young people between the ages of 16-19 for all frameworks. Funding may also be available for young people between the ages of 20 -24 and 25+ however this is dependant on the framework and sector.
For more information on Modern Apprenticeship Funding please visit our
What can I do on completion of my course?
This qualification can enhance career prospects within the sector. Candidates can also proceed on to study further qualifications in hospitality management.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Hospitality Services SCQF 5 (Modern Apprenticeship) SVQ
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI North, West and Hebrides. UHI North, West and Hebrides operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.