Veterinary Care Assistant Level 2 Diploma SCQF 5 City and Guilds
What is special about this course?
This City and Guilds Level 2 Diploma (SCQF Level 5) qualification suits those who have a desire to work with animals and want to train to provide care to animals in a veterinary care environment under the direction and supervision of a veterinary surgeon. It is designed to provide practical competence and knowledge for the role of veterinary care assistant. The classroom element of this course is taught online with expert tuition from our experienced RVNs and Veterinary Surgeons.
This Level 2 qualification is designed for those keen to work in a career where they are providing care to animals in a veterinary care environment, under the direction and supervision of Veterinary staff.
- Applicants should be at least 16 years of age, with a reasonably high standard of physical
- A proven interest in a veterinary environment and evidence of 10 days work experience in veterinary practice
- Evidence of communication/English, IT and numeracy skills at SCQF Level 4. (A stand alone
core skill qualification in these at level 4 is not a suitable entry qualification). Other relevant
qualifications at level 4 or above, may also be considered
- Satisfactory interview
- A firm offer of a practice placement or evidence of actively seeking a practice placement
- Mature students or adult returners will be considered for entry on an individual basis and are encouraged to apply
- Principles and practices of animal handling and care in the veterinary environment
- Principles and practices of assisting with care in the veterinary environment
- Principles and practices of administrative duties in the veterinary environment
- Development of IT, maths/numeracy and communication/literacy skills
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
- Work based
Placement and online
How long will my course last?28 Weeks
7 weeks of taught classes
21 weeks in practice placement
Where can I study my course?
- Work Based
- Employers Premises
Find out more about fees, fee waivers and funding options.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Students may progress onto the Lantra Award level 3 work-based Diploma in Veterinary Nursing (small animal) (successful completion of this qualification means you can become registered as a qualified veterinary nurse)
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Veterinary Care Assistant Level 2 Diploma SCQF 5 City and Guilds
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI North, West and Hebrides. UHI North, West and Hebrides operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.