Energy Engineering BEng (Hons)
Course code H801
What is special about this course?
If you are interested in the role energy has to play in the future of engineering, the BEng (Hons) Energy Engineering degree is for you. The degree has been designed to meet the needs of the industry, ensuring you will be highly employable after graduation.
You will explore both conventional energy systems and renewable energy technologies. You will also undertake an engineering project, which will showcase your skills and knowledge in solving an industry-related problem to prospective employers.
- You will study an emerging technology, making you highly employable for the future
- You will develop relevant key employability skills such as problem solving, critical thinking, and communication and interpersonal skills
- You will undertake a major industry-related project to showcase your expertise in solving engineering problems
- You can study full-time or part-time to suit your personal and professional circumstances
- You can exit at each level with a valuable qualification
Year 1 of this course is a relevant HNC, such as HNC Engineering Systems, with a pass in Engineering Mathematics 2
Advanced entry to year two:
- Successful completion of a relevant 15 SQA credit HNC (such as the HNC Engineering Systems) with a pass in Engineering Mathematics 2. To make an application please use the 'Apply' tab and indicate year two entry on your application
Advanced entry to year three:
- Successful completion of a relevant HND (such as the HND Engineering Systems) may allow advanced entry to year three. To make an application please use the 'Apply' tab and indicate year three entry on your application
Advanced entry to year four:
- Successful completion of the BEng Energy Engineering, BEng Electrical and Mechanical Engineering or other equivalent ordinary degrees may allow advanced entry to year four. To make an application please use the 'Apply' tab and indicate year four entry on your application
Year 1 - HNC
Year 1 of this course is a relevant HNC, with a pass in Engineering Mathematics 2, such as:
Year 2 - DipHE
You will study one of the following core modules:
- Design and engineering skills 2 (SC)
- Engineering skills 2 (SC)
You will also study the following:
- Core maths 2 (S1)
- Electrical 2 (S2)
- Engineering business skills 2 (SC)
- Statics and dynamics 2 (S1)
- Thermodynamics and fluids 2 (S2)
Year 3 - BEng
You will study the following core modules:
- Conventional energy systems 3 (S1)
- Electrical 3 (S1)
- Project and management 1 (SC)
- Renewable energy generation (S2)
- Statics and dynamics 3 (S1)
and choose one from the following:
- Assessment of the environmental impact of development (S2)
- Energy heat in buildings (S2)
Year 4 - BEng (Hons)
You will study the following core modules:
- Engineering project 4 (SC)
- Future energy systems (S1)
- Statics and dynamics 4 (S1)
- Wind energy (S2)
You will also choose one from the following:
- Design for quality and reliability (S1)
- Electrical 4 (S2)*
- Electronics 4 (S1)*
- Thermodynamics and fluids 4 (S2)*
*available to those who have already achieved level 3 in the same subject
How will I study my course?
- Part-time (structured)
- Part-time (unstructured)
- This programme will be delivered through a unique blend of learning and teaching. A variety of media will be used to give an enriched and varied student experience, such as short video learning clips available to be played on computers and mobile devices at a time that suits you. These can be replayed as many times as needed. You will also access specialist staff learning sessions, using integrated e-learning software similar to Skype, and will have local staff face-to-face learning sessions for remedial, tutorial, practical and lab work
How long will my course last?
- Full-time: 4 years (HNC + DipHE + BEng + BEng (Hons))
- Part-time (structured): 8 years (HNC + DipHE + BEng + BEng (Hons))
Where can I study my course?
- North, West and Hebrides - Stornoway; Thurso
Find out more about fees, fee waivers and funding options.
Orion Group Scholarships Programme
Orion Engineering Services Ltd are committed supporters of UHI, committing for a second time to generously support students with scholarships, to improve numbers of skilled workers within the scientific and engineering sectors.
Orion Group Undergraduate Scholarship
Orion Engineering Services Ltd are supporting an undergraduate scholarship for a student starting in year two of a four-year honours degree in:
- BSc (Hons) Bioscience
- BSc (Hons) Energy Engineering
- BSc (Hons) Environmental Science
- BSc (Hons) Marine Science
The scholarship is £3,000 per annum, to the total value of £9,000 over three years. Application deadline is Friday 26th of August. Visit our Orion Group Undergraduate Scholarship page for further information.
UHI has a number of scholarships, bursaries, awards, and discretionary fund opportunities available to new and current students. Please use the A-Z of funds or use the filter to see which ones may be relevant to you. All students are welcome to apply.
Further information on funding your studies is also available, please see the attached link or contact the relevant UHI partner.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Once you have successfully completed your BEng (Hons) Energy Engineering, you will be ready to compete in the employment market for a range of jobs in the engineering sector such as:
- Engineer in renewable energy industry
- Design/maintenance position in offshore industry
- Design/maintenance position in manufacturing industry
- Engineering manager in a wide range of industries
Can I progress into further study?
Upon successful completion of the BSc (Hons) Mechanical Engineering, you may wish to progress onto:
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Natasha Tew and her two friends were the only team from Scotland to make it through to the penultimate round of the Airbus Fly Your Ideas competition.
Following graduation I began a postgraduate MSc and have been applying for as many graduate roles as I can. I've now secured a job as graduate mechanical engineer for Cavendish Nuclear. I would like to work in industry for a while and then possibly go into research afterwards. Studying has helped open up more opportunities for me so I would definitely recommend it. ”
Natasha graduated from the BEng (Hons) Mechanical and Energy Engineering from our UHI Outer Hebrides campus.
I considered other universities but knew UHI through doing a previous course at UHI and not having to move out of the highlands made it very attractive. My studies have helped me get into engineering- I have already achieved a position with SSE for after I graduate! The staff at the UHI are incredibly supportive and are always happy to make time for you, my PAT has taken time to ensure that I have been supported.
Charlotte Bailey is studying our BEng (Hons) Energy Engineering at UHI Inverness.
Apply for Energy Engineering BEng (Hons)
- Applications to this course are now closed for September 2023 entry. Applications for September 2024 will open in September 2023. Please revisit this page then to apply.
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at the University of the Highlands and Islands. We operate a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of gender, age, disability, ethnicity and socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.